Homeowners Insurance


Protection for your home, your belongings and your family.

As a homeowner, you’ve got a lot to protect and that includes much more than the beams, shingles and other materials that make up your home’s structure.   You also need insurance protection for the structures that surround your home, your personal belongings and most importantly, you, your family and the assets you've worked so hard to accumulate. You can protect them all with a homeowners policy from Gulfstream.


What does a homeowners policy cover?

Insurance policies can vary greatly from one company to another. When shopping for insurance, it's important to understand what the policy covers, what might be excluded and any coverage limitations that may apply. Under a standard Gulfstream homeowners policy, you'll get coverage for your:

  • Dwelling. This includes your home's walls, roof, flooring, cabinets, countertops, etc. It also includes structures attached to your dwelling such as such as a porch, and interior elements like chandeliers and built-in appliances. 
  • Other structures on your property. This includes storage sheds, fences, and detached garages.
  • Personal property. Includes furnishings, clothing, jewelry, electronics, housewares such as pots, pans and dishes, free-standing appliances such as washers and dryers, medicines, health and beauty supplies, and much more.
  • Liability. Includes coverage for your assets that may be at risk if you or a family member were accused of causing injury or damage to others. Liability insurance also covers legal defense costs in these cases.
  • Loss of use of your property. Covers relocation costs and temporary living expenses, such as food and rent if your apartment is damaged and you cannot live there while damage is being repaired.

If you don't know how much coverage you need, that's ok. Gulfstream agents have many tools to help estimate the value of your home and property. They can help you determine the policy limits that are right for you and suggest additional coverages you may need. Remember, the market value of your home usually does not represent the amount of insurance you need.


What are additional coverages?

Insurance policies aren't "one size fits all." That's why we offer additional coverages that allow you to customize your policy. For example, if you have a screened pool, you can add coverage for screened enclosures to our standard policy. You can also increase policy limits, if you need the extra coverage for your personal property or personal liability.


Some additional coverages that are commonly added to our standard policy include:

  • Increased Ordinance or Law Coverage
    When your home has been damaged, the construction, repair or demolition of the damaged property must comply with current ordinances and laws.  Often times, this results in higher repair costs.  The Increased Ordinance or Law Coverage endorsement increases coverage for these higher repair costs by as much as 50% of your dwelling limit.
  • Equipment Breakdown Coverage
    Adds coverage for your home equipment including appliances, computers, televisions, heating and cooling systems, swimming pool equipment and more. Learn more.
  • Golf Cart Coverage
    Adds specialized coverage a golf cart owner needs, like liability protection if someone is injured by your golf cart and physical damage protection if your golf cart is ever dented or scratched.
  • Personal Injury Coverage
    Provides liability coverage, including legal defense costs for claims that may occur due to false arrest, libel or malicious prosecution.
  • Animal Liability Coverage
    Adds coverage for damage or bodily injury caused by an animal owned or kept by you or other insured family members.
  • Identity Theft Expense Coverage
    Adds coverage for expenses incurred from identity theft, such as attorney fees, the cost of notarizing affidavits and other costs associated with restoring your identity.
  • Loss Assessment Coverage
    Includes coverage for assessments that your homeowners association may charge all owners due to a covered loss.
  • Water Back up and Sump
    Overflow Coverage
    Adds coverage for damage caused by water that backs up through sewers or drains or water that overflows from a sump.
  • Business Property and Permitted
    Incidental Occupancies
    Adds coverage for personal property and structures used for home business purposes.
  • Scheduled Personal Property Coverage
    Adds coverage for valuable property at its appraised value. Valuables you may want to consider scheduling include jewelry, silver, fine arts, antiques, and coin collections.
  • Personal Property Replacement
    Cost Coverage
    Adds coverage so that personal property losses are paid based on the cost to repair or replace the property with products of like kind and quality.  Certain property, such as antiques and collectibles, which cannot be replaced, are excluded.  The standard policy provides Actual Cash Value coverage for personal property.
  • Carports, Pool Cages and
    Screen Enclosures
    Adds coverage for losses due to wind/hail/hurricane for carports, pool cages and screened enclosures.  Losses on these structures caused by wind/hail/hurricane are excluded under the standard policy.
  • Additional Amount of Insurance
    for Dwelling
    Increases dwelling coverage by 25% and applies when dwelling losses exceed policy limits.


What kind of losses are covered?

A typical policy covers losses due to fire, smoke, lightning, wind, hail, frozen plumbing, theft, explosion, vandalism, the weight of ice and snow, and a few others. Losses from hurricanes and storms may be subject to a separate deductible.  Refer to your policy for a description of all covered perils. 


What does my policy exclude?

Coverage for losses due to flood are always excluded. That's why it's important to consider adding a separate flood insurance policy. Some policies exclude losses due to wind/hail.  In addition, your policy places limits on the amount of coverage you have for certain items or situations. For example, your policy may have a coverage limit of $1,000 for theft of jewelry. In some cases, your policy may exclude coverage for a specific item, such as a screen enclosed porch. To get a clear picture of what your policy limits and exclusions are, it's best to talk to your agent.


How much does a homeowners insurance policy cost?

The cost of your policy depends on many factors. The deductible you select can have a big impact on pricing. If you are comfortable with a higher deductible, you can save on your annual policy premium. If you prefer a smaller deductible, the cost of the policy will increase.


Other factors that impact pricing include your location, the age of your home, the construction type of your home, roof type, the amount of coverage you need, etc. The best way to determine the cost of your homeowners policy is to contact an agent and get a quote. 


We offer many credits and discounts for homeowners including:

  • Burglar Alarm Discount
  • Fire Alarm Discount
  • New Home Credit
  • Gated or Guarded Community Discount
  • Building Code Effectiveness Grading Credit (in Florida)
  • Windstorm Mitigation Feature Credits such as
    hip roof and hurricane shutters
  • IBHS Fortified for Safer Living Home Credit
    (in Louisiana and Mississippi)
  • New Roof Credit (in Louisiana and Mississippi)
  • Roof Pitch Credit (in Louisiana and Mississippi)


Ready to get started with homeowners insurance? Contact a Gulfstream agent for a quote today.


If your home is located in Alabama, please review the Alabama Policyholder Bill of Rights.


Insurance terms, definitions and explanations are intended for informational purposes only and do not in any way replace or modify the definitions and information contained in individual insurance contracts, policies or declaration pages, which control coverage determinations. Such terms may vary by state or area, and exclusions may apply.


Atlas program: The description of insurance products on this page and this website do not apply to Gulfstream products offered and sold through Atlas General Agency LLC and its contracted independent agencies.